Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] serial support in ethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:17:04 -0700
On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 11:48:11AM +0200, Steven_XXL@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Your Ethereal is more than great and it is really impressiv.
> Well I see that it does not support DIAL Up-Modem/ISDN Connections in
> Win2k/XP/Server.

More precisely, the packet capture mechanism used by Ethereal on Windows
doesn't support it.

> Why do the mentioned connection types not work in the mentioned operating
> systems?

Because of the way Microsoft implemented PPP in Windows; it doesn't make
it easy for third-party software such as WinPcap to capture on PPP
connections.

> When will it be possible that it supports them too?

WinPcap 3.1 beta should support it.  You would have to install WinPcap
3.1 beta in order to capture on those devices with Ethereal (or with any
*other* software that uses WinPcap).  Note that it's a beta, so there
might still be some problems; if so, report them to the WinPcap
developers.