Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Installing IE6 slowed down file transfers

From: Steve Nicholson <mac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:17:24 -0700
I have two Win2k machines, one Win98 machine, and two Macs networked. One of the Win2k machines was extremely slow in transferring files to the Macs. I decided to use Ethereal to try to figure out what was going on. I installed it on the "slow" Win2k machine and captured some information. When I tried to install Ethereal on the "fast" Win2k machine, it required me to upgrade Internet Explorer from v5 to v6. After doing that, the previously fast machine also transferred files slowly to the Macs.

The two Win2k machines also transfer files slowly to each other (a 22Mb file takes 6 minutes), but quickly to the Win98 machine (a 22Mb file takes 30 seconds). The Macs and Win98 machine all transfer files quickly between each other.

So now this seems to be an IE6/Win2k-related problem and not a Mac-related problem. Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steve