Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Capture interfaces (loopback?)

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 04:08:32 -0700
On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 01:04:09PM +0200, Sttf wrote:
> In sum, i can't analyze traffic from my own interfaces to my own interfaces.
> even if it is not 127.0.0.1

Yup.

> What a crap. And only in windows?

No, it's also a problem in many other OSes, including Solaris and HP-UX.

> the problem is then winpcap?

No, the problem is in Windows - loopback traffic isn't sent through an
NDIS driver, and WinPcap uses NDIS to connect to network devices.
Perhaps Windows offers some other way to tap that traffic, but they
might not have documented it.

> man, i dont know how this framework doesnt allow loopback capturing.
> it's ridiculous.

Yup, it is.  Complain to billg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - it's ultimately
Microsoft's fault (just as it's Sun's fault for Solaris, etc.).