Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] help

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 11:58:28 -0700
On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 10:35:57PM +0800, james wrote:
> Thanks, I have got a hub and plugged the pc, ip phone and router into it .
> When I capture I get to see some UDP,ICMP,ARP protocols but not any of the
> H323 family protocols from my IP phone.
> What could be the reason

What are the destination Ethernet addresses of the packets you're
seeing?

If they're all either ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff or multicast addresses, then the
reason is probably

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.1

Note what that FAQ says about hubs - not all hubs are simple hubs that
pass all traffic through; in particular, note what it says about
dual-speed (10Mb/100Mb) hubs, and make sure the PC, IP phone, and router
are all running at the same speed (all 10Mb/s or all 100Mb/s).