Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Display filters 'ymsg' and 'yhoo'

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 19:41:40 +0200

Fred O'Leary wrote:

<Hi, I’m looking at traces of HTTP messages that contain yahoo ‘YMSG’ payloads.

<However the display filters don’t seem to work. Is there anyway to inspect

<the content of these messages (other than raw byte displays?)

So the messages aren't decoded as YMSG?

A display filter will only work if the packets are decoded as that protocol.

I'm not so familiar with Yahoo Messenger and YMSG, but the following documents

seems to indicate that both YMSG over TCP and YMSG over HTTP are possible.

http://jymsg9.sourceforge.net/

http://libyahoo2.sourceforge.net/ymsg-9.txt

Ethereal currently only support YMSG directly over TCP, not YMSG over HTTP.

Maybe it isn't so difficult to add support for YMSG over HTTP.

The YMSG sample captures I have are YMSG directly over TCP, and display filters works with

those captures.