Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] help

From: Stef <stefmit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 20:30:40 -0500

On May 1, 2004, at 10:19 AM, herzog@xxxxxxxx wrote:

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, james wrote:
I have a 1 ip phone connected to a 4 port ethernet adsl router to make voip calls. My pc(loaded ethereal analyser) is connected to another port on
the same 4 port ethernet adsl router.

Is this configuration right to capture the protocol exchanged between my ip
phone and voip provider using my pc.

No. More than likely, those 4 ports on the broadband router are switched, so your PC will not be able to see traffic which is not originated from nor
destined for your PC.

What you will need to do it either buy a cheap hub and plug the PC, the IP
phone, and the router into it...or, buy an ethernet tap to put in-line
between the IP phone and the router (would also require a second NIC in
the PC if you which to maintain internet access from the PC while sniffing
traffic)...

--
Larry Herzog Jr.        "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain
VROC #11489              conceit, but in humility consider others

Before you spend any money, try - first - to set the port speed and half-duplex for the analyzer's NIC to be the same as the one negotiated between the IP phone (see if you can make it half-duplex, also) and the ADSL router/switch. I have seen one too many times these router with "switched" ports behaving like hubs, when the connected devices are on the same speed and duplex, and working in switched mode only when one is 10Mbps, and one 100Mbps, for example ...

... just a suggestion - cheap to try ;)

Stef