Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Datacomsystems interfaces support in/under ethereal?!?

From: stefmit <stefmit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:02:08 -0500
Has anybody ever used datacomsystems LAN/WAN switches with ethereal? These are
pieces of hardware mainly used with NAI's distributed sniffer, and I was
wondering if anybody has been successful in making them work with ethereal.
The setup consists of LAN-network adapter and WAN-network adapter, both PCI
based, which connect through appropriate cabling (RJ45, and DB15,
respectively) to a board having many other RJ45/DB15(V.35)ports, which can
connect to multiple LAN/WAN links. The PCI-based boards (not the switch, but
what I would dare to call "NICs") show up in NT/W2K as network adapters
(haven't tried them under Linux yet), but ethereal does not see them as
available interfaces. Before I try and install Linux on the system where I
have these mounted, I was hoping one of the readers of this mailing list has
had some experience with these before, and could share it with me.

See products here:

http://www.datacomsystems.com/LAN-WAN/

One of the most widely usage of those is in the Distributed Sniffer solution
from NAI (which I am actually trying to replace, by renouncing the software
and hoping I can buy the hardware from these fellows and make it running with
ethereal).

Any hints/suggestions/pointers/help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Stef