Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Bluetooth modem

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:34:32 -0700
On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 05:33:15PM +0200, Bojan Puskarevic wrote:
> I use Bluetooth PCM-CIA card to connect to the network.  It is
> installed as a Bluetooth Null Modem connected to the PC trought virtual
> ComPort.  My temptation to read the protocol with Ethereal GUI wasn't
> succeed.  It can not found the Bluetooth modem.

On what operating system is this?

Ethereal uses libpcap on UNIX, and Winpcap on Windows, to open capture
devices.  libpcap uses the OS's native packet capture mechanism, and
WinPcap's device driver uses the NDIS mechanism, to connect to the
network device.

If the device on which you're trying to capture doesn't provide a
network interface, or the OS packet capture mechanism (on UNIX) or
NDIS+the WinPcap driver (on Windows) doesn't support capturing on that
interface, libpcap/WinPcap can't capture on it, and therefore tcpdump
and Ethereal and all the other programs that use libpcap and/or WinPcap
can't capture on it.

For example, on Windows, if the device uses PPP, the WinPcap driver
doesn't support capturing on it.