Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 3.0 hangs

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:24:53 +0100
Hi Eddy,

is turned off. If Name resolution is turned on it takes more than 60 seconds.

You should check if you have Name resolution turned on.
Edit/Preferences.../Name resolution/

http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.30

Name resolution was turned on by default when installing Ethereal a while ago, but people were
complaining a lot that Ethereal was hanging on Windows when they read in captures or stopped
the capturing. When doing a new installation of Ethereal 0.9.11 and some earlier versions name resolution
is turned off by default, but if you have upgraded from an old version the old
preference value may remain if you didn't uninstall Ethereal before youinstalled the new version.

Ethereal doesn't use registry, but if you have installed Ethereal a while ago there might be a file
"preferences" remaining e.g. in C:/Documents and Settings/<WindowsUser>/Application Data/Ethereal.

Hopefully it should just be to change the value for "Name resolution" and press Save, Apply and OK.