Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Problems Importing TCPDUMP Output into Ethereal

From: "Richard Ginski" <rginski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:08:49 -0400
On a Windows 2000 machine, we have been redirecting output from TCPDUMP to a text file. Unfortunately, when trying to open the files with Ethereal , we receive the error message:

"The file "filename" is not a capture file in a format Ethereal understand"

What could we be doing wrong?

We have tried Ethereal 0.9.7 and 0.9.11

Running TCPDUMP command:

tcpdump host "IP address" > text file