Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] unable to see device list in win2k

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 20:02:40 +0200
Manny Kaiser wrote:

>This is a newbie question.
>I am unable to see the device list when I attempt a capture
>on a win2k box.
>Can anyone point out what I missed

Read FAQ 5.14

http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.14

especially:

"If you are running Ethereal on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server, and this is the first time you have run a WinPcap-based program (such as Ethereal, or Tethereal, or WinDump, or Analyzer, or...) since the machine was rebooted, you need to run that program from an account with administrator privileges; once you have run such a program, you will not need administrator privileges to run any such programs until you reboot."

and

"WinPcap doesn't support PPP WAN interfaces on Windows NT/2000/XP/Server, so Ethereal cannot capture packets on those devices when running on Windows NT/2000/XP/Server. Regular dial-up lines, ISDN lines, and various other lines such as T1/E1 lines are all PPP interfaces. This may cause the interface not to show up on the list of interfaces in the "Capture Options" dialog. "

and

"WinPcap currently does not support multiprocessor machines (note that machines with a single multi-threaded processor, such as Intel's new multi-threaded x86 processors, are multiprocessor machines as far as the OS and WinPcap are concerned), and recent versions refuse to operate if they detect that they're running on a multiprocessor machine, which means that they may not show any network interfaces"