Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Question: No "interface" when trying to star t capture

From: Richard Urwin <RUrwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:23:12 +0100
From: Carlos Chaves [mailto:chaves_carlos@xxxxxxxxxxx]

> The FAQ says that if I don't have administrator rights over my PC
(Win2K), then I won't > have any interface to choose in order to start a
capture.

> Does anyone know a workaround but to get administrator rights over the
machine?

First, assuming that you can log in as local administrator you can give
your normal login administrator rights by adding it (ie
<domain>\<login>) to the administrator group.

If you don't have local administrator access then you will have to talk
to whoever does, and plead with them. If it is going to be impossible to
get full administrator access, you might talk to the WinPCap list and
ask which specific right you need access to. I imagine it would be
easier to get your Administrator to give you, (for instance,) direct I/O
access than full admin rights.

--
Richard Urwin, Private
"No 9000 series computer has ever made a mitsake or corrubiteddatatato."