Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] (no subject)

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 00:32:11 -0800
On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:04:54PM +0800, gyzhang wrote:
> I am now runing Ethereal on windows 2000.  There problem is that I
> can't capture frames on loopback interface.  Can you tell me how I can
> do that?

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the Microsoft Loopback Adapter doesn't
support packet capture.  You'd have to ask the WinPcap developers:

	http://winpcap.polito.it/contact.htm

about that, however - Ethereal's capturing is done, on UNIX by libpcap
and by the OS mechanism libpcap uses, and on Windows by WinPcap and the
OS mechanisms WinPcap uses, so that's the code that controls on what
interfaces packets can be captured.