Join us June 15-20 for SharkFest'24 US, the official Wireshark Developer & User Conference

Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 802.11 raw packet sniffing

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:08:38 -0800
On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 04:49:01PM +0100, Michele Varesano wrote:
> I use ethereal 0.9.6 (RH8.0) with a 802.11 wireless card
> (WL110 compaq). I would like to sniff the 802.11 control
> and management frames (beacon, ACK, RTS/CTS, ...) in
> addition
> to regular data frames.
>
> I'm trying to patch the orinoco-cs driver as explained in
> the ethereal FAQ section (see
> http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html) but with no
> result. I can place
> my card in a monitor mode using "iwpriv monitor" command
> but when I start ethereal no beacon frames appear.

Either

	1) your card doesn't have a version of the Orinoco firmware with
	   which the patches work;

	2) you used an older patch (the latest patch might make it work
	   with firmware version 8.20);

	3) even in monitor mode it ignores beacon packets;

	4) there's some other problem with the driver patches.

> Any Ideas?

You should probably discuss that with Snax <snax@xxxxxxxxx>, as per the
"Questions to: Snax" link at the bottom of the page; he or she is
probably the maintainer of the patch.