Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] saving output to different format

Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 17:30:23 +0100
From: Neil [mailto:neil-on-ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> i'm new here. how can i convert the output of tethereal to a
> csv format? I
> tried the one from the archive, but it doesn't work.

"The one from
 the archive"? Perhaps you were referring to perl script I wrote to convert
tethereal -V output into a CSV format. If so what was the problem?

The easiest method to convert to CSV is to configure the columns the way you
like it under preferences and then piping through perl. My standard
dmp2csv.bat contains

tethereal -r %1 | perl -ne "s/^ +//;print join',',(split / +/,$_,11)"

You'll need to tweak the "11" above so that the final description of the
frame doesn't get split by / +/

I'm sure you Unixey people can translate the above into a real program :-)

Alistair

Registered Office:
Marks & Spencer p.l.c
Michael House, Baker Street,
London, W1U 8EP
Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

The registered office of Marks and Spencer Financial Services PLC, Marks and Spencer Unit Trust Management Limited, Marks and Spencer Life Assurance Limited and Marks and Spencer Savings and Investments Limited is Kings Meadow, Chester, CH99 9FB.