Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] How do I apply the Display filter ??

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:43:32 -0700
On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 09:36:13PM +0200, Thomas wrote:
> Guy Harris wrote:
> > Try using the "Filter:" button instead.  Note that, when you create a
> > filter, you do *NOT* have to give it a name in order to use it to filter
> > the display, and you do *NOT* have to add it to the list of stored
> > display filters.
>
> Does that mean that the filter I created under "Edit->Display Filters"
> will be activated automatically when I click the "Filter:" button at the
> bottom of the screen ?

No.

It means that if you click the "Filter:" button at the bottom of the
screen, you will get a dialog box similar to the one you get with
"Edit->Display Filters", but that also has an "Apply" button to let you
apply the filter you've constructed, rather than merely being able to
save it.

In order to apply the filter, you don't have to give it a name, and you
don't have to save it.

> So I don't need to type the name of the filter or whatever ?

The *name* of a saved filter cannot itself be used as a filter; the
dialog box you get by clicking the "Filter:" button shows the list of
filters, and you can select one and then use "Apply".