Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Capture from STDIN or a pipe

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:18:53 +1000
Hi eric.

There are two ways to do this easily with ethereal.

1,   Use Linux and capture from the "ANY" interface, then you will capture
from
all interfaces at the same time. I dont think any other platforms support
this.
Note, this is not a Ethereal feature per se but rather a feature of Linux
which
can provide a "virtual" network interface that is the set of all others.

2, Run two capture processes, one for each interface and then use mergecap
to merge the
two captures into one. Not as nice but can be used on all platforms.

There has also been discussion recently that someone might be working on
virtualization of
the capture mechanism used by ethereal. A very very interesting and useful
feature which
would allow sniffing from non-network devices as well as allowing what you
want.
Hopefully this feature may be implemented in ethereal.