Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] IP phones and 3Com 3300 switch

From: "Shawn Schiebrel" <SSchiebrel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:27:01 -0400
this is a very strange occurance.

I have 15 IP phones in my IT shop.. and all are connected via a 3com 3300 switch matrix ( 4 actual switches matrixed together )
workstations ( including mine ) are also connected to the same switch matrix

when I use ethereal from my workstation, I can see the IP phones talk to the IP cards in the phone system... not a broadcast or multicast, but a real IP address talking to another real IP address... say 10.10.2.25 talking to 10.10.3.65.

No broadcast addresses at all involved. ( of course.. I see broadcasts as well with ethereal )

But if I fire up Network Monitor in win2k.. I don't see that traffic at all.. just the broadcasts and a few multicasts.. ( Like I am supposed to )

just wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this....  is there anything that ethereal would do to put the switch port in a mode that would see the traffic?

Shawn Schiebrel , Systems Engineer
American Health Holding Inc.
614-818-3222 x1111