Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Mapping Interface in Ethereal to physical in terface...

From: Richard Urwin <RUrwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:49:29 +0100
From: Jack Jackson [mailto:jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 August 2002 20:54

>At 12:34 pm 08/28/2002, Guy Harris wrote:
>>On Windows, with recent versions of Ethereal, the list in the combo box
>>should give a human-readable description of the interface; again, that
>>should help if the interfaces are different types of cards.
>
>There is a slight bug with this in Ethereal 0.9.5, at least on Win2000.
>
> The first time the Capture dialog box is opened after starting Ethereal it

> does show the human-readable form.  The second and subsequent times it
> shows the '\Device\Packet...' form.  The drop-down list always shows the
> human readable form.

(Windows 2000sp2)
Nevertheless, when the network cards installed are of the same type, it is
nearly impossible to differentiate them. ipconfig does not give the (GUID)
long stream of hexadecimal. The registry entries at
'HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWSNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards' list the
GUIDs, and you could try assuming that the order of these is the same as the
listing order in ipconfig. I tried changing the description of my network
card and nothing changed in Ethereal or ipconfig. I didn't reboot though.

Where does Ethereal get its textual description from? It isn't the same as
the description in the registry.

--
Richard Urwin, Private
"No 9000 series computer has ever made a mitsake or corrubiteddatatato."