Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] configure: error: Header file net/bpf.h not found... But it is

From: "Novick, Jeff" <novickj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:00:21 -0400
Hi all,
 I am getting:
 configure: error: Header file net/bpf.h not found; if you installed libpcap
from source, did you also do "make install-incl"?

But, bpf.h is installed in /usr/include/pcap/net

[root@alpha1 ethereal-0.9.6]# ls -lR /usr/include/pcap/
/usr/include/pcap/:
total 16
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jul 25 07:44 net
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         6317 Jul 15 20:45 pcap.h
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         3326 Jul 15 20:45 pcap-namedb.h

/usr/include/pcap/net:
total 16
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        12943 Jul 15 20:45 bpf.h

Redhat Alpha 7.2 w/ GCC 2.95.3

Any ideas? Here's the output from configure:

creating cache ./config.cache
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking host system type... alpha-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking build system type... alpha-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... pass_all
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix... no
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... no
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... yes
checking whether a statically linked program can dlopen itself... no
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
creating libtool
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for flex... flex
checking for flex... (cached) flex
checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for pod2man... /usr/bin/pod2man
checking for flex... /usr/bin/flex
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for pkgproto... no
checking for pkgmk... no
checking for pkgtrans... no
checking for rpm... yes
checking to see if we can redefine _topdir... yes
checking to see if we can add '-Wall -W' to CFLAGS... yes
checking for platform-specific compiler flags... none needed
checking whether to use /usr/local for headers and libraries... yes
checking for GNU sed as first sed in PATH... yes
checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking for glib-config... /usr/bin/glib-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking whether GLib supports loadable modules... yes
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking whether to use libpcap for packet capture... yes
checking for extraneous pcap header directories... found --
-I/usr/include/pcap added to CFLAGS
checking for net/bpf.h... no
configure: error: Header file net/bpf.h not found; if you installed libpcap
from source, did you also do "make install-incl"?

Thanks,
Jeff

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient (s) and may
of the original message. To reply to our email administrator directly, send
an email to EmailAdmin@xxxxxxxxxxx.
Toys "R" Us, Inc.