Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: Ethereal under CygWin works reasonably well

From: Lionel Ains <lains@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:07:47 GMT+1
Hi,

I've tried to install Ethereal on CygWin as well.
It compiles but dies with a segmentation fault at runtime...
I'll try again!

By compiling it with --without-pcap, is it still possible to
do captures? TEthereal, that I compiled also, tells me it
was not compiled with libpcap, so captures are not allowed.

Do I need to specify that I want Ethereal to use winpcap
explicitly at compilation time?

Lionel

Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:

> Dont know if it is news or old stuff but in case someone
is interested,
> Ethereal works reasonably well under CygWin.
>
> To get it running there are some small steps :
> 1, Install XFree for Cygwin and make sure it runs properly
> (www.cygwin.com)
> 2, Follow the GNOME link on www.cygwin.com and download,
compile and install
> both gtk 1.2.10 and glib 1.2.10 . Note on the page that
there is a one line
> fix required for
> gtk to compile.
> 3, Download ethereal nightly snapshot and configure it
with
> ./autogen.sh --without-pcap --without-plugins
> (is it --without-plugin or --without-plugins ? dont
remember)
> 4, Run 'make ethereal.exe'
>
> Something is wrong with the makefile that gets generated
so it doesnt work
> just running make.
> I am not curious enough to look at why 'make' doesnt work.
'make
> ethereal.exe' works well
> enough for me.
>
> 4, start X and ethereal, voila behold the mighty sniffer
in all its glory.

Envoyez des messages musicaux sur le portable de vos amis
 http://mobile.lycos.fr/mobile/local/sms_musicaux/