Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Error making 0.9.6 on Solaris 2.6

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 01:42:50 +0200
On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 09:16:06AM -0400, Morgan, Chip E. wrote:
> All,
>    I'm trying to build 0.9.6 on Solaris 2.6 and ran into a make error. I've
> included the configure and make output below. I dug through the mailing list
> archives but didn't find an exact match to my problem (or I didn't dig
> through the cruft correctly..). I've tried gmaking with similar results,
> too. What am I doing wrong?

You aren't reading the output of configure. Clearly hidden in the midst
of it, you can find the following passage:

> checking for gtk-config... (cached) no
> checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no
> *** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
> *** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> *** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
> *** full path to gtk-config.
> checking for glib-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/glib-config
> checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... yes
> checking whether GLib supports loadable modules... yes

As well as the following one:

> checking for glib-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/glib-config
> checking for GLIB - version >= 1.1.0... no
> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
> *** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
> *** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
> *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
> *** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
> *** is required on your system
> ***
> *** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
> *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> ***
> *** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the GTK package that
> *** came with the system with the command
> ***
> ***    rpm --erase --nodeps gtk gtk-devel

as well as

> checking for glib-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/glib-config
> checking for GLIB - version >= 1.1.0... no
> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
> *** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
> *** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
> *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
> *** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
> *** is required on your system
> ***
> *** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
> *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> ***
> *** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the GTK package that
> *** came with the system with the command
> ***
> ***    rpm --erase --nodeps gtk gtk-devel

Without having found the above, the message below may have been a surprise:

> wtap-int.h:30: glib.h: No such file or directory

What's interesting though is the fact, that it is talking about "(cached)".
Please remove all three instances of config.cache (to be found in ., epan
and wiretap) and run configure again. Does this get you any further?

 Ciao
        Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know