Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] displaying entire ppp packet

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:38:45 -0700
On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 08:51:40PM +0100, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:
> > On what OS are you doing this?
>
> Redhat 7.3

OK, Linux isn't particularly friendly towards PPP captures using
libpcap, unfortunately.

> I assume it should be possible to somehow 'tee' into a the com-port
> which PPP runs over

I believe pppd can be configured to log all traffic on the serial line
to a file, which can be read by a program called pppdump.  (I don't know
the details of how you'd do that.  It might involve some "record" option
in a configuration file, and might require that you restart pppd.)

Ethereal can also read those files, so that would probably give you what
you want.