Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Cannot Seem to subscribe to WinPcap List

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:34:47 -0700
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 06:14:56PM -0700, Dale Cabell wrote:

> 1) Any ideas on why I can't subscribe to the WinPcap list? It returns
> an error subscribe vs.  join.

If the message you sent to "winpcap-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
contained the word "join", it's because the *correct* word to use in the
message is "subscribe".

> 2) Network Stumbler does see beacon frames, with my same wireless card
> and it simultaneously still allows me to do normal unicast network
> access.

If it also supports normal network access, I suspect Netstumbler isn't
seeing the beacon frames itself, it's probably only making the card do
some sort of poll that returns a list of BSSIDs, so that all it sees is
the list of BSSIDs (MAC addresses, SSIDs, etc.).