Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Assertion problem

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:04:54 -0700
On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 03:33:30PM -0400, Sebastien Boyer wrote:
> Everyone:
> When I'm using Ethereal, I can snif but when I try to look at some packet, I
> get this messages:
>
> In a DOS windows
> file proto.c: line 1061: assertion failed: (hfinfo->type == FT_IPv4)
>
> In a windows box
> Unspecified fatal error encountered, aborting

We'd have to see the capture file in order to debug the problem.

If the capture came from sniffing with Ethereal, it'll be either in
C:\Temp or in whatever your personal temporary file directory is (on
Windows 2000, probably

	C:\\Documents and Settings\{your login name}\Local Settings\Temp

) with a name starting with "etherXXXX".

> I'm using ethereal 0.9.4

Try using Ethereal 0.9.5, the current version.