Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Question Regarding New Version

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:28:55 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Dale Cabell wrote:

> Question:
>
> Does anyone know when the Windows version is finally going to support 802.11? I don't want LINUX.

If you want to capture 802.11-specific data (e.g. beacon frames) your only
choices are to shell out some money for a commercial product like AiroPeek
or Sniffer Wireless, or use Linux or FreeBSD.  Ethereal uses the WinPcap
library to capture packets under Windows.  WinPcap in turn depends on
individual NIC drivers for raw packet data.  At the present time there are
no drivers that deliver raw 802.11 frames in windows, but there are plenty
for Linux and FreeBSD.  See

    http://www.mail-archive.com/winpcap-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg00017.html

and

    http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.23

for details.

If you don't care about 802.11-specific data you should be able to capture
wireless traffic under Windows; it will look like regular Ethernet traffic
in Ethereal.