Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] printing in ver 0.9.5 on win2k

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:53:10 -0700
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 11:41:12AM -0400, Lehrer, Neil (OIG/OAS) wrote:
> yes, print a packet.  and ethereal is set for plain text.  and the
> output is not postscript just not understandable.  printer is an hp lj
> 1200 with pcl 6.

Odd.  I have absolutely no idea why that's happening, and absolutely no
idea where to look to try to find out why; you'll have to hope somebody
else has a clue there.

> so i tried to print it on our networked postscript printer.  i set the
> ethereal settings to ps.  the printer printed the ps file with ps codes,
> not the final version.

That doesn't work.  The current code for printing to a printer on
Windows just prints to a file and then reads the file and formats each
line to be printed on the printer; if you set the Ethereal settings to
print in PostScript, PostScript is printed to the file, so each line of
PostScript gets formatted to be printed.  Useful if you want a bunch of
pages with PostScript code on them, not useful otherwise.