Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 802.1Q and capture filters

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:04:47 -0700
On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 02:32:24PM -0500, McNutt, Justin M. wrote:
> If I use 'automatic scrolling in live capture', the problem does not
> occur.

It's probably irrelevant whether you have automatic scrolling turned on
- it's probably only relevant whether you have "Update list of packets
in real time" turned on.  (That was the case when I tried it.)

In "Update list of packets in real time" mode, the capturing is done by
a child process - and the compilation of the capture filter is done in
the child process, *and* a new child process is created for each
capture, so you aren't compiling multiple capture expressions in the
same process.

This suggests that it is, some sort of libpcap problem in which not all
the compiler state is reset when a new compilation is started.