Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] AOL

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:58:29 -0700
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 12:53:53PM -0400, Thorobred68@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm french so excuse me for my english...
> Since I have AOL as provider I can't use Ethereal 0.9.5

As I understand it, before Internet access at home was common, AOL's
client software used a proprietary protocol on the dial-up line back to
the AOL server.

Ethereal doesn't support capturing that type of traffic.

They might now provide real Internet access, using PPP over the dial-up
line.  If so, then, as you're running Windows 98 (rather than some form
of Windows NT, such as Windows 2000 or Windows XP), it *might* be
possible to use Ethereal to capture that traffic; if that's not working,
however, it's probably a WinPcap problem, and you'd have to ask the
WinPcap developers about it.