Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Windows based text2pcap utility

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:38:11 -0700
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 10:16:02PM +0100, Alistair.McGlinchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> text2pcap.exe should be in your ethereal install directory. It works
> perfectly for Ethernet text. However I cannot get Token ring text to be
> reimported.
>
> >From net/bpf.h:
> #define DLT_EN10MB	1	/* Ethernet (10Mb) */
> #define DLT_PRONET	4	/* Proteon ProNET Token Ring */
> So I assume that text2pcap -l 4 should import token ring.

You appear to be assuming that the term "Token Ring" refers to a single
unique type of network.

It doesn't.

There was an old token ring network from Proteon, called ProNET, which I
think antedated IEEE 802.5 (and may have antedated IBM's token ring).
The folks who did BPF reserved a DLT_ value for it, but never wrote any
libpcap or tcpdump code for it (or, at least, never put it into a public
release, just as they never put out, as far as I know, any public code
for the old experimental 3Mb Ethernet, AX.25, MIT CHAOS, or ARCNET).

There's also the 802.5 token ring standard (which I *think* may be based
on the IBM token ring); they didn't provide a DLT_ value for it.

For some unknown reason, they *did* provide a DLT_ type for "IEEE 802
Networks", the fact that there are several *different* types of 802
networks, with different link-layer headers, nonwithstanding.

Various Linux and BSD systems, and possibly other systems, hijacked that
"DLT_IEEE802" value to mean IEEE 802.5 token ring; that's what the
current libpcap, tcpdump, and Ethereal use it for.

So the right value for IEEE 802.5 token ring is 6:

	#define DLT_IEEE802     6       /* IEEE 802 Networks */

not 4.