Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] stumped...

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:02:37 -0700
On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:00:24AM -0400, Mark Seger wrote:
> I'm sure the answer is a simple one, but I can't figure out how to
> install this on RedHat.  According to the installation manual, the
> command for the binary is of the form:
>
> rpm -ivh ethereal-0.8.10-1.i386.rpm
>
> however, when I go to the download location for the binaries at:
> ftp://ftp.ethereal.com/pub/ethereal/rpms/
>
> there are no packages with a name of this form.

Which installation manual is that?

The current version of Ethereal is 0.9.5, not 0.8.10; the manual is
either referring to RPMs available on some *other* site, or is out of
date.

> There is a SRC, but no i386.

> There ARE a number of i386 packages such as base, gnome, etc but
> no mention of them in the installation manual.

See previous comment about the installation manual.

> I did install the 'base' which is clearly is not runnable,

"Clearly" in what sense?

This looks as if it's reproducing the weird naming convention Red Hat
uses for Ethereal packages, in which there's a "base" package, with
"ethereal" in its name, but which doesn't actually include an Ethereal
binary, just a Tethereal binary.

It may be that the "gtk+" package includes the Ethereal binary (because
it uses GTK+), and that the "kde" and "gnome" packages include stuff to
add entries for Ethereal to the desktops in question.

Or it may not.

I have no idea what the "usermode" package is.

(Note: asking me for further help of any sort installing RPMs would
probably be a waste of time, as my Linux partition at home uses Debian,
and I've studiously avoided dealing with RPMs as much as possible.)