Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] How to write a Plugin ?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 21:35:20 +0200
On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 03:48:58PM +0200, Gregor.Scholl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I want to write a Plugin for the ETHEREAL Network Analyzer.
> Can You please give me help / sample Code for my first steps in this field.

Do you want to write a plugin (which is just a dissector that can be loaded
at run time) or a normal dissector (which is linked into the excutable at
build time)? In order to write a dissector, just look at the source into the
doc/ directory. There you'll want to start with README.developer and look
briefly at the other files just to see what's in them, so you can return
to them in case of questions later on. Then either start coding or take a
look at an existing dissector, which is named packet-XYZ.c in the toplevel
directory.
In case you want to write a plugin: I'm not sure we have documentation for
that, but you may just look at the source of the existing ones. As an
alternative, you may just write a dissector and convert it into a plugin
later (shouldn't be a waste of time either).
If you encounter problems/questions during coding, just ask at the
ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx mailinglist.

 Ciao
        Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know