Ethereal-users: Re: Re: [Ethereal-users] how to understand the capture time!

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:26:49 +0800
Hi,Dear Guy Harris,

Thanks for your great help.

However, I still don't understand the capture time Ethereal display. for example, when I capture the icmp packet produced by "ping host B" on host A, it shows the same capture time of echo request and echo reply, as the following:

1  0.000000  A   B   ICMP  Echo(ping) request
     Arrival Time: Jun 14,2002 12:00:00.123456789
2  0.000000  B   A   ICMP  Echo(ping) reply
     Arrival Time: Jun 14,2002 12:00:00.123456789

I wonder why the set of icmp packets arrive at the same time? since A ping B, and B returns a echo reply, it shouldn't produce at the same time!

More ever, I captured the "A ping B" echo request packet on host B, and I want to compute the transmit time for the packet.(A and B have been synchronized by NTP time server)
But
   transmit = "the arrvial time on host B" subtract "the time of the echo request produced on host A"
the transmit seems much different from the "round-trip time"/2 displayed by "ping", I mean, it seems they are not in the same quantity scale. So I feel confused. Would you like to give me some suggestion?

Thanks again!

Best Regards!

Qian Huang
Intern Student