Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Using snoop with Ethereal

From: Marco van den Bovenkamp <marco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 10:53:49 +0200
Schlabach, Torsten wrote:

> - The snoop file will be transferred to a Windows NT box running
> Ethereal.
>
> Ethereal just refuses to open the snoop file saying that the file was
> not in a format that Ethereal understands.

Assuming for a moment that you used FTP to transfer it: you didn't forget to use binary mode? The Windows FTP client defaults to ASCII (converting line endings), and the Snoop file isn't ASCII, so it'll get munged.

> I have tried to look at the sample from the Ethereal Website
> (www.ethereal.com/samples, 3.) I can open that file on my PC without
> any problem, but I cannot open it in a text editor to compare it to
> the snoop file that I produced because it is somehow compressed. Just
> all decompression utilities I know about (uncompress, unzip, gunzip)
> cannot expand this.

It's not a text file, but a binary one. The format is documented in RFC 1761.

		Regards,

			Marco.