Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] I can't capture ethernet packages on Linux

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 11:06:16 -0700
On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 02:34:32AM -0700, Ahmet Tiftik wrote:
> I am running Ethereal on Linux and also on Windows. On
> windows, I can capture the packages in our old LAN.
> The protocol of the packages is `Ethernet'. But I
> can't capture these packages whwn I run Ethereal on
> Linux?

What do you mean by "can't capture"?

Ethereal (and other programs using libpcap) definitely can capture
Ethernet packets.

Do you mean that if you run Ethereal it gives you an error when you try
to capture packets on one of your Ethernet interfaces ("eth0", for
example)?

Do you mean that if you try to capture on an Ethernet interface you
don't see any traffic?