Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] I got Ethereal to monitor dialup ports on Window 2000 syste

From: "Loris Degioanni" <loris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 13:48:36 +0200
Hi,

> On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 09:49:23PM -0700, Soni Reynolds wrote:
> > I got Ethereal to monitor dialup ports on Window 2000 systems. After you
> > install Ethereal and WinPcap go to Settings --> Control Panel  -->
Network
> > and Dialup Connections. Right click on your dialup connection select
> > properties, select Networking, Select Install. Install Network Monitor.
Exit
> > and reboot. When you start Ethereal to capture select the option
> > \Device\Packet_NdisWanBh.
> >
> > Can you please add this information to your site?
>
> More correctly, you got *WinPcap* to *capture packets on* dialup ports
> on Windows 2000 systems - the stuff you did wasn't at all
> Ethereal-related, and this isn't specific to Ethereal, it should apply
> to *any* program using WinPcap.
>
> As such, I'm passing this on to "winpcap-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"; if
> can be made to work in general, this should probably go up on the FAQ on
> the WinPcap site, for the benefit of users of programs *other* than
> Ethereal, and the Ethereal FAQ (and the WinDump FAQ?) should link to it.
>
> (It doesn't work for people who don't have Network Monitor to install,
> of course.

Not totally correct.
At least under Win2k professional, I was able to install the netmon device
without having netmon.
The procedure is is explained at http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/dialup.htm.
I don't make this page public yet because I don't know if the procedure
works on other machines/OSes (NT4, XP...) and, if it works, I don't know to
enable it on different OSes.
Therefore, I will be happy to receive feedback from the users that try it.

Loris