Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Stupid Question

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:47:48 -0800
On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 03:21:36PM -0500, Guy Goodenough wrote:
> Real stupid question. I'm trying to run tethereal under WinXP to capture
> data from my laptop (Ethereal.exe works just fine). The problem is unless I
> specify which adapter to use, tethereal defaults the the PPP adapter then
> generates an error for obvious reasons. The problem is I'm not sure of the
> arguement syntax for the -i switch. What tool can I use to look this
> information up?

The tool to use, in order to get the names of interfaces on your
machine, is called "tethereal". :-)

Run Tethereal with the "-D" flag; it will print the names of the
interfaces it knows about.  Given that you're running Windows NT 5.x
(Microsoft insists on calling the desktop version of NT 5.1 "Windows
XP", for some reason) rather than 4.x, the name will probably be
something hideous such as

	\Device\Packet_{BE4BA606-1F72-48CA-87CF-4F1693D8F544}

However, if you start Ethereal 0.9.1, select "Preferences" from the
"Edit" menu, select "Capture" from the pane on the left, select the
token ring interface in the "Interface:" box, click "Save", and click
"OK", then both Ethereal *and* Tethereal will default to using that
interface.  ("-i" can still be used to override that default, and you
can still set the interface in the "Capture Options" box popped up when
you select "Start" from the "Capture" menu in Ethereal.)