Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Is it possible to monitor local traffic

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:57:54 -0800
On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 04:38:20PM +0200, Panos Kassianidis wrote:
> Is it possible to have Ethereal capture data sent to the loopback
> address (127.0.0.1) ?

Only if hte OS on which you're running allows packet capture on loopback
interfaces.

> For example if 'I have a PC with a network card
> but it is not connected to the network, can I ping myself using the
> command "ping 127.0.0.1" and have Ethereal capture the packets?

Yes, if your PC is running:

	BSD of some flavor (capture on the "lo0" interface);

	some Linux distribution (capture on the "lo" interface - make
	sure the interface up and running).

No, if your PC is running:

	Solaris - Solaris doesn't support capturing on "lo0";

	Windows - Windows doesn't support capturing on packets sent to
	127.0.0.1.