Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Specific protocol configuration

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:44:51 -0800
On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 05:35:51PM -0500, Zafer Elbi wrote:
> Is there an easy way of totally eliminating all the protocols from the
> source that I don't use?

No, and there's not likely to be one any time in the near future (or, I
suspect, in the far future, for that matter).

> I would like to capture only ethernet frames and nothing else.

The easiest way to capture only Ethernet frames is to capture only on
Ethernets. :-)

I.e., I really doubt you meant "I would like to capture only Ethernet
frames".  You probably meant something such as "I would only like to
have Ethereal dissect the Ethernet header, and not dissect any protocols
running atop Ethernet".

If that's what you wanted, there's no way to permanently configure
Ethereal to disable those protocols, but you could select "Protocols..."
from the "Edit" menu, click "Disable All", and then click on the box
labeled "eth" to re-enable the Ethernet protocol.