Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] dissect_wsp: get_integer size 0 NYI problem

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:56:26 -0800
On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 02:16:14PM +0100, Mujahid Syari wrote:
> Can somebody tell me why I received the message : "dissect_wsp: get_integer
> size 0 NYI" when I am using filter to tethereal (version 8.20).

Either because

	1) there's a bug in the WSP dissector;

	2) there are WSP packets on your network with Long-integer
	   values with a length of 0;

	3) there are packets to or from ports 9200, 9201, or 2948 on
	   your network that aren't WTP-over-UDP or WSP-over-UDP
	   packets.

>From your domain name, I infer that 3) is unlikely to be the case, and
therefore that 1) or 2) are probably the answer.  A quick look at the
revision history of the WSP dissector doesn't show any *obvious* fix
between the Ethereal 0.8.20 version and the current Ethereal 0.9.1
version that would help, but you might want to upgrade to 0.9.1 anyway.

If you still see the problem, then:

	if you're using Tethereal with the "-w" option, use Ethereal to
	look at the capture file that Tethereal wrote;

	if you're using Tethereal *without* the "-w" option, run it with
	the "-V" option and save the output to the file;

and then look at the packets with a copy of the WSP specification handy,
and see whether the problem is that

	1) the packets are not valid WSP packets

or

	2) they're valid but Ethereal/Tethereal isn't dissecting them
	   correctly.

(No, I cannot help you any further without a copy of the capture file,
as written with "tethereal -w" - *not* the output of "tethereal -V", or
anything else less than the raw capture file written with "tethereal
-w".  Even if I did have that capture file, there's no guarantee I'd be
able to help you soon; I don't have a lot of free time to spend looking
at WAP traces.)