Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] capturing packets in promiscuous mode

From: "darren" <teodarren@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:54:43 +0800
HI,

Promiscuous mode refers only to "Promiscuity" on the Network Layer I
think.

Other people's packets may not on the same "Physical" network as you.
You will thus not be able to see any "other people's packets" because
you are not "Associated" to them and hence not "physically connected" to
them.

For you to be sniff-promiscuous on WLAN with Ethereal, you need to put
your card into monitor mode.

I do not know of any avbl drivers to do this in Windows except those
provided by a few software houses for use with only their own programs.

If anyone got any WLAN drivers in windows that support Monitor mode,
Please let me know!!

Hope this helps.

Darren