Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: ethereal on Win XP

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 02:37:07 -0800
On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 11:16:55AM +0100, Loris Degioanni wrote:
> Note that not only Ethereal, but also windump and all the applications that
> rely on winpcap actually try to open every available device when performing
> a pcap_lookupdev(). This function uses the PacketGetAdapterNames() function
> of packet.dll, which tries to open every adapter it detects to get the
> description of the device. In practice, only valid and openable adapters are
> returned by pcap_lookupdev() under Win32.

Then I have absolutely no idea why Ethereal can't open it (unless
WinPcap 2.3beta is somehow treating the device path argument in
"pcap_open_live()" as a Unicode string), especially given that others
have, apparently, successfully captured packets on Windows XP with
Ethereal.

I don't have Windows XP, and thus cannot explore this any further (and
don't have time to do so in any case).