Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: ethereal on Win XP

From: Jens Hektor <hektor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:42:10 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:

No way. Tried it, does not work.

Error opening adapter: file not found (in German).

Then you won't be able to capture using any program that uses WinPcap,
including Ethereal, WinDump, or Analyzer, as WinPcap can't open that
device, for some reason.  You should ask the WinPcap developers for
help, by sending mail to

	winpcap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Send them the output of "winpcap -D".

Again: "windump" runs, "ethereal" does not.

So here is the output of "windump -D" (is there a program named "winpcap" ?)

   C:\Temp\Giftschrank>windump.exe -D
   1.\Device\Packet_{58634D63-6C4F-4607-AEB3-A1BBB4EA120A} (Intel
   8255x-based Integrated Fast Ethernet (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler) )
2.\Device\Packet_NdisWanIp (NdisWan Adapter (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler) )

If I insert the 1st device into the Ethereal dropdown as suggested by Thomas,
I just get the above mentioned message.

With that finding the winpcap people already sent me to "ethereal-users", and now I'm
getting bounced back.

Astonishing is, that windump offers two interfaces, but ethereal just presents an empty list. I think there must be some bug in either ethereal with using the winpcap api or in the winpcap lib that is successfully worked around in windump. I tend to the 1st
problem.

Any more suggestions ?

Best regards, Jens Hektor