Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] running ethereal on aix

From: "Ketan P Pancholi" <pancholi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:35:10 -0400
Guy,

I was trying to make the IBM libpcap (which uses bpf)to work with Ethereal
and now it does work.The change I had to make was we had to export a symbol
'pcap_version' which wasnt exported by IBM libpcap.

> And in both the cases I had to disable ipv6 while configuring tcpdump.

I.e., if you didn't specify --disable-ipv6, it enabled it, but that
didn't compile?

What errors did it produce when you tried compiling with IPv6 enabled?

 ---->
Yes, it didnt compile unless I provide --disable-ipv6 during
configuration.It gives me the following error.

checking whether to enable ipv6... yes
checking ipv6 stack type... linux-libinet6
You do not have inet6 library, using libc
checking for library containing getaddrinfo... none required
checking getaddrinfo bug... buggy
Fatal: You must get working getaddrinfo() function.
       or you can specify "--disable-ipv6".

I have another question.Now, when I start capturing, it does show the two
interfaces I have got.tr0 and lo0.capturing with tr0 works fine but when I
start capturing with lo0, it gives me the error, "The network you're
capturing from is of a type that Ethereal doesn't support."

I looked up in capture.c from where the message comes from.And somewhere in
there it says "capture filters only work on real interfaces"

Does that mean that Ethereal doesnt work with loopback interfaces?

Thanks,
Ketan Pancholi