Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] large capture file hangs machine

From: "Nick Slywczuk" <nslywczuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:36:21 -0400
I have a simple question.  One of my clients needed me to do a weekend
capture at their site.  The capture is quite large, about 84.1 meg.  When I
load it into ethereal either on my linux box or my win2k box it hangs it or
makes it really slow.  I increased the virtual memory on both boxes(yes i
know it is called something different on the linux box), but it is still
causing me problems.  Is there any way I can break the file int say 20 meg
chunks to examine it? Or do I need to get more physical memory (the linux
box has 128meg and the win2k box has 96meg).  Any helpful input will be
appreciated, any flames will be sent either to /dev/null, or the recycle bin
depending on where i am sitting at the time :)

Nicholas S. Slywczuk
Network Engineer
Integrated Network Concepts
"Networking the World"