Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Is This a Bug or I

From: Sampson Consulting <stevesampson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 22:43:17 -0400
I have seen similiar problems to mine (below), in your mailing lists
archives, but unfortunately I cannot read the attached mail from Harris,
specifically from the July 11 posting: The attached mail shows up as a
binary (.bin) and my firewall complains... So could you post the message
concerning promiscuous recieve solution.

The July 11 posting:

Please see attached e-mail from Guy Harris that helped me solve this
problem on NT4, Solaris 2.8
    on i86 and Sparc. Most likely it will solves your problem as well.
Give it a try.

    Andrew.

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:23:18 -0400, Murthy, Sudhakara Krishna
(Sudhakara) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I recently downloaded Ethereal ver. 0.8.18 and I am running it on
    >windows 2000 (OS). I could see only local and
broadcasted/multicasted
    >packets in promiscuous mode. Any help in this matter is greatly
    >appreciated. (BTW my system has 3Com 3C905C-TX NIC ).

My Problem Description:

I am setting up a surplus Compaq notebook, with NT4.0 Workstation, Sp5
and various networking tools. The latest version 0.8.18. ethereal does
not seem to capture any connection oriented, ie tcp, frames unless they
are directed specifically at the monitoring notebook's host ip address.
have the latest winpcap 2.1 driver and can run Torino's Analyzer 2.1
successfully, all frames from all nodes are captured. Additionally, I
have a version of microsofts netmon working and it successfully captures

all frames. I have pretty much ruled out hardware configuration. I have
checked your site pretty carefully and I believe I can rule out the
winpcap driver... Any idea's

thanks,

steve

Steve Sampson