Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] What is tethereal?

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:35:20 +0200
Great has been lokking for that, and then I had right under my nose.

But I cant get it to sniff. It says it cant find my interface. I've tryed
to copy the long name I use when using ethereal, but that didnt help.
How do I choose interface ?

Errit Müller
Security & System Management
Mærsk Data AS
Phone no.: +45 39 10 26 78
E-mail: emu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                     Guy Harris          To:     emu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                     <gharris@soni       cc:     ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                     c.net>              Subject:      Re: [Ethereal-users] What is tethereal?

                     09-07-2001
                     14:08

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 01:50:14PM +0200, emu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Some of you are taking alot about tethereal, but what is it ?
> A command line sniffer ?

Yes.

It uses the same dissector modules as Ethereal, but it can:

           capture traffic and print to the standard output the dissected
           packets - either the summary line (like the first pane in
           Ethereal) or the detailed dissection (like the second pane in
           Ethereal);

           capture traffic and save it to a file;

           read a capture file and print to the standard output the
           dissected packets.