Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Linux RedHat 6.2 - no TCP traffic?!

From: "Hannes R. Boehm" <hannes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:21:59 +0200
On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 04:27:47PM -0400, Dundo wrote:
> I can capture everything else but TCP.....strange, but true......I use
> ethereal only as 'root'......

Hi,

what kind of UDP packets do you see ?

TCP is connection oriented and can only be used with Unicast.
I assume that your Ethernet is switched. In this case you see
only Multicast and Broadcast. (and your own TCP sessions)

You will see (among others):
ARPs
Spanning Tree PDUs
CDP
NTP Broadcast over UDP
some IPX/SPX broadcasts
SAPs
in general: all MAC layer Broad- and Multicasts
	    ( dest mac either all ones, or starting with 01:...)

try to start a TCP connection from your Mach while capturing.

wkr
Hannes

"The nice thing about standards is that there's so many to choose from."
        -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum
  Hannes R. Boehm
        email   : hannes@xxxxxxxxx
        www     : http://hannes.boehm.org