Ethereal-users: [ethereal-users] problem with ethereal

From: "Nikolay N. Igotti" <inn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:27:22 +0400 (MSD)
        Hello,

 I'm trying to use ethereal to reverse engineer some propertiary (WinCE
RAPI over serial port) in the following manner:
 I'm using Linux box with simple program used for tunneling traffic
between COM1<->COM2 using following connection scheme:

        Linux
      tunneling  -------------> dummy0 interface
       program                         |
  COM1           COM2                  |
   |             |                     +
   +             +                 ethereal
 WinCE       Null-modem
                 +

              COM1 of WinNT

 I.e. I've used
# ifconfig dummy0 up
to configure dummy interface and slightly hacked libpcap to force DLT to
DLT_PPP (otherwise ethereal thinks interface is of type ETH). Then my
program writes to this raw interface using sendto() whole PPP packets
coming from serial ports, and ethereal listens on this interface.

 Problems:
1. for unknown reasons received packets are sliced in very strange manner.
Sometimes packet is broken in the middle.
So how to write whole packet to dummy network interface?
2. I don't know how to configure dummy (or smth like this) interface for
using given type of incapsulation? Maybe ppp0 interface is better, but I
didn't managed to configure it with ifconfig.

 Any help welcome.

  Thanks,
     Nikolay

PS: pls respond to me as I'm not on the list.