Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] RTP

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 15:57:55 -0700 (PDT)
> Hi, first at all, thanks for such a wonderful program.  My doubt is
> the following: I�ve just downloaded version 0.8.8 and I wanted to test
> the new RTP dissector, but I cannot get anything, Is there really a
> support for RTP? Or is not yet implemented?

It's implemented (and definitely works; the folks here at NetApp doing
the streaming media support for our NetCache boxes are using it for
debugging problems - that's why Jason, who's one of those developers,
wrote it in the first place...).

However, RTP doesn't, as far as I know, have a standard port number
that's used for it; instead, RTSP is used to specify which ports are to
be used for an RTP session.

As such, the RTP dissector doesn't register itself to be used with a
particular port number; instead, the RTSP dissector registers the RTP
dissector to be used for a particular conversation (host/port pair).

This means that you won't see RTP packets dissected unless the RTSP
conversation that sets up the port is also in the capture.

(If it *is* in the capture, and you're *still* not seeing RTP getting
dissected, that's a bug; if so, let us know.)

If the RTSP conversation wasn't captured, the only way for Ethereal to
know what port should be dissected as RTP would be for it to find out
from the user; unfortunately, there's currently no way to specify, in
the user interface, that

	1) a particular TCP or UDP port number should be dissected as a
	   particular protocol;

	2) a particular conversation should be dissected as a particular
	   protocol;

but both of those should arguably be supported.